Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Numbers Game

By: Shawn Desgrosellier of Vitality Group

Here we are, week two of the new year and for some reason and I would say some very strange reason resumes have not been flooding my inbox. I wonder why that is, and I wonder why those millions of job seekers that are in the market seeking employment are not pursuing the recruiters who are market makers in a specific industry.

I have heard from the current job seekers that at one time or another I have spoken to, recruited for a position, or placed in a new company- but still the new candidate is the hot candidate as far as a recruiter is concerned and the numbers are way down. Why are they not using every waking moment of every day trying to reach out and connect to those recruiters who have tenure, contacts and relationships, and influence to make or create a job for the right person?

I am quickly approaching 20 years in the recruiting industry and have placed hundreds if not over a thousand people in mid to senior level management positions across a number of industries with an emphasis over the last decade in Commercial Construction and Real Estate. If I get a Linked In request from a job seeker with a track record in my niche and area of specialization I accept them immediately- I want to help them anyway I possibly can and if I have a connection that they need to get a job right now I am happy to be that pathway. Remember the movie "Pay it Forward" it holds true right now and if you take the time to reach out and help someone it is the right thing to do. So why are job seekers not using Linked In and trying to connect with people of like backgrounds and like industries. I have had conversation after conversation with Executive Level contacts in my industry and they are happy to add someone new to their network and connections, but they are busy so the job seekers has to at the very least take the initiative.

If you have been recently been affected by a downsize, lay-off or have been seeking employment for 6-12 months or in some cases even longer- what are you doing about it? Don't give up, suck it up and with a carefully created plan you too can take this time to deepen your network and diversify your industry knowledge and relationships- depth and breadth you can call it. All I ask, is that you get up early and get after it each and every day and give it your best shot, reach out and touch someone and by using the strength of numbers and law of averages you can tap that right person tomorrow or next month- it all depends upon your velocity.

I wish you success out there and hope this inspires you to take action tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment